If you are looking to go into a homeless shelter:
- Call 211. – tell them you are homeless with nowhere to sleep tonight. You will be given the names of at least 2 shelters to call . Call them.
- Call 211 and ask for the FAMILY SOLUTIONS referral.
- Use the internet or telephone books to find shelters – show up in person. This is best to do early in the morning when the staff is doing “Intake” appointments. Have as much information on you as you can such as photo ID, social security , etc. Have a full list of everyone who is in your group or family if you are not living alone.
- If you are on county cash assistance or other public program, go to the DPSS office and ask for a Homeless Case Manager interview.
- Once you find a shelter : show up or contact them regularly. Squeak. The squeaky wheel gets the grease so let them know you need them.
- Find out the name of the agency who is doing the case management for the shelter or housing. In some cases an agency may own and run shelters but contract to other agencies for the day – to – day operations. The list you really need to be on is the subcontracted agency.
- In the winter – go to the Winter Shelter in your area.
Most homeless shelters are nicer than what you have seen in the movies.
Be aware that you will not be allowed to bring drugs, alcohol, weapons, or firearms with you.