This always gets me. A sweet girl (Amy Cudworth) I knew in Jr. High posted a rant about how families could and are abusing the welfare system and she personally is paying for them.
Dear Amy, your simple knee jerk reaction was to look at the most visible consumers of American Tax Dollars and assume they are draining us dry. They are using the tax dollars and therefore are evil, bad, and are to blame for the economy.
Whoa, that is a lot of judgement and anger to be tossing around.
So Amy C., this is for you.
So let’s look at what an Average Californian pays in taxes and where those dollars go:
An “average Californian” paid $15,496 in Federal Taxes
|2015 Federal Income Tax Receipt
Average Federal Income Taxes Paid in California
April 15, 2016
Inflation adjusted to 2015 dollars
|* Includes $2,029.08 for Medicaid|
|* Includes $53.56 for Children’s Health Insurance Program|
|Pentagon & Military||$3,932.56|
|* Includes $842.38 for Military Personnel|
|* Includes $108.44 for Nuclear Weapons Wait, I don’teven want to own nukes!|
|Interest on Debt||$2,117.06|
|Unemployment and Labor||$1,240.79|
|* Includes $92.48 for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families – AKA Welfare|
|* Includes $35.11 for Job Training and Employment Programs|
|* Includes $404.48 for Payments for disability, death, etc.|
|* Includes $368.58 for Veterans Health Administration|
|Food and Agriculture||$713.69|
|* Includes $441.72 for SNAP (food stamps)|
|* Includes $42.19 for Federal Crop Insurance|
|* Includes $183.26 for Pell Grants, Work Study, and other Student Aid|
|* Includes $129.96 for Elementary and Secondary Education|
|* Includes $73.12 for U.S. Customs and Border Protection|
|* Includes $40.87 for Federal Prison System|
|Housing and Community||$298.03|
|* Includes $57.87 for Head Start and Related|
|* Includes $11.02 for Homeless Assistance Grants|
|Energy and Environment||$247.55|
|* Includes $50.15 for Environmental Protection Agency|
|* Includes $10.89 for Energy efficiency and renewable energy|
|* Includes $46.05 for Diplomatic and consular programs|
|* Includes $40.15 for Global Health Programs|
|* Includes $29.89 for Transportation Security Administration (TSA)|
|* Includes $6.56 for Federal Aviation Administration|
|* Includes $102.64 for NASA|
|* Includes $39.44 for National Science Foundation|
You paid $596.65 into programs someone on Welfare would access; or basically 4.09% of your tax dollars went to people on Welfare
31.31% of your taxes went to the military funding and veterans.
That 4.09% is going into programs where some of the recipients ALSO pay taxes, and the hope is that they will rejoin the workforce and pay taxes at the same rate that you and I do.
Those programs keep people alive and fed. They house and feed children who can’t work. They reduce crime by reducing the desperation of the very poor.
And in the scenario that was posted – I would refer you to SNOPES to address the article that says (ORANGE parts are my contributions)
How to get $75,000 in benefits every year from the US Government for you and your girlfriend?
Follow these proven and simple steps.
First … get a girlfriend…
1. Don’t marry her.
2. Use your mom’s address to receive your mail.
3. The guy buys a house. (Then guy sells house to pay fines for his crimes when convicted)
4. Guy rents out house to his girl girlfriend who has 2 of his kids.
5. Section 8 will pay $900 a month for a 3 bedroom home.(Section 8 lists are closed in LA. They regularly check your income to move you out ASAP)
6. Girlfriend signs up for Obamacare so guy doesn’t have to pay for family insurance. ( That is not how that works. Do you mean Medi-Caid or MediCal?)
7. Being a single mother, Girlfriend gets to go to college for free! (I was a single mother and I totally had to pay for my own college. I am in Grad school and STILL paying!)
8. Girlfriend gets $600 a month for food stamps (every $5 in new SNAP benefits generates as much as $9 of economic activity – according to the USDA)
9. Girlfriend gets free cell phone from US Government (The LIFELINE phone? It breaks and is only good for 1 year)
10. Girlfriend get free utilities. (From Whom? How do you even do that?)
11. Guy moves into home but still uses mom’s house to receive mail.
12. Girlfriend claims one kid and guy claims one kid on taxes. Now you both get to claim head of household at $1,800 credit. So you think the IRS won’t see you are living with your mom when she files taxes? Are you the father of the child? I am so confused. Is she working and even eligible to file for taxes?
13. Girlfriend gets disability for being “crazy” or having a “bad back” at $1,800 a month and never has to work again.(so why was she going to college? she can’t use that degree nor can she collect educational loans and grants while permanently disabled.)
This plan is perfectly legal and is being executed now by millions of people. except that it is not, and it is not.
A married couple with a stay at home mom yields $0 dollars. An unmarried couple with stay at home mom nets $21,600 disability + $10,800 free housing + $6,000 free obamacare + $6,000 free food + $4,800 free utilities + $6,000 Pell Grant money to spend + $12,000 a year in college tuition free from Pell Grant + $8,800 tax benefit for being a single mother = $75,000 a year in benefits.
Any idea why the country is 18 + trillion in debt?
So basically, your argument is flawed, your premise is unrealistic, and you are a better person who is smarter than this.