Who Qualifies for Welfare


§ Family must have a child(ren) in the home who has been deprived of parental support or care because of the absence, disability or death of either parent.

§ Child(ren) must live with a parent or relative caretaker. If you don’t have children living with you , you don’t qualify for Aid to Families with Dependent Children (AFDC)

§ Child(ren) must be under 18 years of age or 18 years of age enrolled as a full-time student in high school or a vocational/technical training program and:

§ Expected to graduate/complete the training program before reaching age 19; or

§ Not expected to graduate/complete the training before age 19 due to a disability.

§ A pregnant woman with no other eligible children in her last trimester may be eligible for assistance.

§ A pregnant teen age 18 or younger, with no other eligible children in the home, may be eligible for assistance upon verification of pregnancy.

§ Family must intend to reside in California.

§ The request for aid must be for a U.S. Citizen, naturalized, lawful permanent immigrant or eligible noncitizen category. An Eligible NonCitizen would be a refugee or woman fleeing violence VAWA

§ At application, the family’s principal wage earner must not be employed more than 100 hours in the month preceding the application.

§ Families must have a Social Security Number for each person requesting aid

Published by Homeless

Mommy. Social worker. Nice lady seeking to end homelessness and end poverty. FightOn

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: