Restaurant Questions and Answers

Participant Questions
How can you use Food Stamps to pay for eating out?
What can the Restaurant Meals do for me?
  The Restaurant Meals Program allows homeless, elderly (age 60 or over), and disabled CalFresh individuals to use CalFresh benefits to purchase prepared meals using Golden State Advantage (EBT) card at participating restaurants.
How can I find out if I am eligible for the Restaurant Meals Program?
  If you are homeless, elderly (age 60 or over), receive Social Security Disability, Railroad Retirement Benefit Annuities, or Cash Assistance Program for Immigrants (CAPI), you may be eligible to purchase meals at participating restaurants.
Do I have to apply for the Restaurant Meals Program?
  No, an application is not required, if you are eligible to participate in the Restaurant Meals Program.  That is, you meet one of the conditions in question #2.
How do I find out if a restaurant is participating in the program?
  A restaurant is participating in the program if the Restaurant Meals Program sign or logo is displayed on its door or window. You may also click here for the list of participating restaurants or ask your Eligibility Worker for a list.
Do I have to show an identification card aside from my Golden State Advantage (EBT) card to purchase a meal?
  No, an identification card is no longer required.  All you need is your EBT card to purchase a meal.
After purchasing a meal, do I get a sales receipt showing my CalFresh benefit balance?
  Yes, your sales receipt will show the cost of your meal and your CalFresh benefit balance.
Will I be charged a service gratuity or sales tax if I purchase a meal?
  No, the participating restaurant is not allowed to charge a service gratuity or sales tax under the Restaurant Meals Program.
If my EBT CalFresh benefit is not enough to purchase a meal, can I use the EBT cash benefit to cover the difference for payment?
  Yes, you must inform the cashier that you will use a mixed transaction (EBT CalFresh and EBT cash combined).  Before you buy a meal, check your last receipt or you may call the toll-free EBT Customer Service number (1-877-328-9677 or the TTY at 1-800-735-2929) to find out the balance in your EBT CalFresh account.
What do I do if my EBT CalFresh transaction is denied by a participating restaurant?
  You must call your CalFresh Eligibility Worker or call the EBT Customer Service Center number (1-877-328-9677 or the TTY at 1-800-735-2929).
Need more information?
  For more information about the Restaurant Meals Program, call your CalFresh Eligibility Worker or you may call Central Help Line at (1-877-481-1044)
Balance Inquiry
Balance Inquiry is finding out how much you have left to spend from your cash and/or Food Stamp accounts.
The best way to know your balances is to KEEP YOUR LAST RECEIPT.
If you lose your last receipt and need to know your balance:
call the toll-free Customer Service Center (1-877-328-9677 or the TTY at 1-800-735-2929) on the back of your card; or
check your Food Stamp account balance at a POS device; and/or
check your cash balance at an ATM.
  Note: Checking your cash balance at an ATM will cost $.25.
Know your balance before you shop!

tips on how to use your EBT card :

The County of Los Angeles provided all this informaiton

Published by Homeless

Mommy. Social worker. Nice lady seeking to end homelessness and end poverty. FightOn

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: