Since you are already thinking about candy and children – give an extra thought to school kids. Particularly those who are homeless with parents who may not be able ( due to time or their own education ) to help them with homework and learning.
Here, in Los Angeles, we have a wonderful resource and it is something you should know about. I know I have told you before – but really – can you have too much of a good thing?
“Every homeless child that we meet receives a backpack filled with school supplies. Please help us help more of the estimated 290,000 homeless children in California.
The following are items that every child needs in order to succeed in school.
- Backpacks – new
- Spiral ring notebooks
- School uniforms or uniform certificates
- Crayons and markers
- Colored pencils; pens
- Pencil sharpeners
- School binders (all sizes)
- Erasers (assorted colors, shapes and sizes)
- Homework folders
- Flash Cards (Multiplication & Division)
- USB Flash Drives
- Computers and/or Computer Monitors
- Laptops – 2005 and newer
- Mini Staplers and staples
- Mechanical pencils
- Pencil boxes or pouches
- School and scientific calculators – preferably solar
- Graphing calculators – new or used
- 3-ring paper (College and wide-rules)
- Book Covers
- Subject dividers
- Arts and crafts materials
- Gift certificates and vouchers for backpacks, books and supplies.
Homeless children are no different. Next time you are shopping for school supplies for your family why not pick up some extra and send them to School on Wheels! Please call (805) 641-1678 or send an email to Ymelgoza@Schoolonwheels.org to make sure we can use your items and how to get them to us.”