Learn more at http://www.youthnoise.com/page.php?page_id=6145
1.6 to 1.7 million people under 18 will experience homelessness each year. (That’s more than the population of Philadelphia.)
- 63% of runaway and homeless youth are never reported or sought after by guardians.
- 22 to 44% of their parents abuse drugs or alcohol, leading to domestic violence and conflicts.
- 79% were attending school regularly before entering a shelter.
- most don’t experience long-term homelessness. They often go home, find relatives to stay with or make it on their own.
- most have multiple overlapping problems that can affect development; may require professional help
Characteristics of Homeless Youth
- No self-sufficiency skills
- No financial resources
- Mental health problems; post-traumatic stress disorder
- Deteriorating physical health
- Substance Abuse