I read your comment, and wanted to respond to you.
If you only went on aid because you could not work due to illness – you said you were in the hospital – then you should have been EXEMPTED from having to do the 32/38 hours . (in LA COUNTY it is 32/35 hours and still less than the 40 hours I pull a week)<br> I have copied from th DPSS website to give you more information. Ask your worker for a CW61 or pull one off the internet – have your doctor sign it and give to your GAIN or CalWORKS worker.<br>
Certain persons do not have to participate in Welfare-to-Work because of special individual and/or family circumstances. Persons are “exempt” from Welfare-to-Work participation if they are:
- Under 16 years old or 60 years old or older; Sixteen (16) or 17 years old and go to school (not college) full-time, unless enrolled in school as part of the Welfare-to-Work Program;
- Physically or mentally unable to work or participate in a welfare-to-work activity on a regular basis for at least 30 calendar days.
- The nonparent relative caretaker of a child who is a dependent or ward of the court, or a child at risk of being placed in foster care.
- Staying at home to take care of individual(s) in the household who can’t take care of themselves if that keeps the recipient from working or participating in a welfare-to-work activity on a regular basis.
- The parent or caretaker relative of a child six months old or under (or, depending on the county, for a child 12 weeks old or under or for a child 12 months old or younger). This exemption may be applied only one time under the CalWORKs Program. A subsequent exemption for the birth of another child or adoption of another child six months old or younger will be granted for a period of 12 weeks (or , depending on the county, for a period up to six months). In addition, this exemption does not apply to individuals who are required to participate in the Cal-Learn Program.
- Pregnant and the individual provides medical verification that she is unable to work or participate in a welfare-to-work activity on a regular basis for at least 30 calendar days.