The Stimulus jobs

You’ve heard about this on the news but what is it?!
Basically, the “we are going to create jobs” idea means that very low income people who are receiving public aid are going to be placed into employemt (starting at $10.00 an hour) and the counties will be providing the pay check. In this way, people will begin to earn too much to qualify for public aid and will fill in resume gaps, gather new skills, network, be supported by transportation and childcare funding services and hopefully be able to walk away from the subsidized employment and into total self sufficiency.

There are not enough Conty and Non-profit openings for all the needy workers to be plugged in to. That is why I have been asking you if you have any company positions that you can not afford to fill but need workers for. The county and worksource centers are screening people and trying to place them, for the first time, in for profit companies. If you think you might be interrested in what is basically free employees for up to 12 months – check out this web site.

I have quoted from the LADPSS web site below:

TRANSITIONAL SUBSIDIZED EMPLOYMENT STIMULUS FUNDING: BENEFITS CALWORKS/REP PARTICIPANTS AND THE LOCAL BUSINESS COMMUNITY EMERGENCY CONTINGENCY FUNDS (ECF) The Los Angeles County Department of Public Social Services (DPSS) is utilizing Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) ECF to expand subsidized employment opportunities, with a goal of placing 10,000 participants in subsidized jobs by March 2010. Subject to requirements established by the federal Department of Health and Human Services, the California Department of Social Services will designate a baseline period from past subsidized employment expenditures. Once the baseline is reached, Los Angeles will draw down 80% of its expanded subsidized employment costs from ECF. The remaining 20% can be offset by public, private or non-profit employer’s contributions of cash or by the costs incurred for supervising subsidized employees. ************** Transitional Subsidized Employment (TSE) was developed for participants who remain unemployed or underemployed after receiving services and job search assistance. The goal is to provide participants with hands-on experience in a real work setting acquiring wages and new skills, assisting them to be more marketable. The County’s primary contractor for subsidized employment is the City of Hawthorne, South Bay Workforce Investment Board, which in turn subcontracts with WorkSource Centers. PARTICIPANTS AND JOBS This great opportunity is open to all CalWORKs and Refugee Employment Program (REP) participants with different levels of skills, experience and interests. Participants will be placed in subsidized employment for up to 40 hours per week at a pay rate of $10.00 per hour for up to 12 months. Enrollments in subsidized employment will begin in May 2009, and employment referrals will cease in March 2010 (to ensure all participants receive at least six months of subsidized employment). Participants will be placed into subsidized jobs in all sectors of the economy, and participants will be matched with jobs that complement their Employment Plans. Employment slots are being identified in other County departments and public sector agencies, in community-based organizations and nonprofit companies, as well as with private sector for-profit firms. Participants interested in TSE are to contact their designated GAIN Services Worker, GROW or REP Case Manager.

Published by Homeless

Mommy. Social worker. Nice lady seeking to end homelessness and end poverty. FightOn

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: